Recipe & photo courtesy of Heather, Kailyard Kitchen
Alright, this week I’ve already covered a nice, comforting dish for a rainy day… So today I have a little pick me up! This is a really simple guacamole with the addition of roasted celery root (also called celeriac), which adds a lovely earthiness to this classic. Smear it on toast, plop some on a scramble, or enjoy it as part of a game day spread!
Celery Root Guacamole
- 2 small celery roots, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- a pinch of chili flakes, optional
- alt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss celery root in some cooking oil with a pinch of salt and roast in the oven until easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Remove the celery root from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, mix celery root, garlic, and cumin until they have been processed quite finely. Add cilantro, avocado, and lime juice and blend until thoroughly combined. Add in the diced onion (chili flakes if you’re using them) and salt to taste, pulsing until it has been folded into the guacamole. This is best eaten right when it’s made fresh so the avocado doesn’t have time to discolor.