(Recipe & photo courtesy of Heather, Kailyard Kitchen )
It’s hard to believe the holiday season is already upon us! This week’s recipes are ones that I hope can help you take time to pause and reflect on the simple things- a candlelit dinner with those you love or a quiet breakfast with a warm cuppa. This squash bread is moist and well-spiced. The flavor of the butternut itself is quite mild but lends an earthy backbone to this bake. I’ll be making it the day of Thanksgiving so we have a treat for the next morning.
Butternut Squash Bread with Candied Ginger
- 1 cup cook and mashed butternut squash
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup non-gmo canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger cut into small bits
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients: sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking soda, spices, and ginger. Whisk to mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients: squash, eggs, oil, water. Whisk to mix well.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients until well incorporated. Pour into a loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.