(Recipe courtesy of Heather, Kailyard Kitchen)
Burdock, Beet, and Walnut Pilaf
Here’s another option to utilize your burdock along with some of the other veg in this week’s box. A great side to go along with roasted chicken or a pork chop.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cipollini onions, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large burdock root or 2 medium sized, washed and cut into matchsticks or small dice
- 1 large beet or 2 small beets, cut into matchsticks or small dice
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups braising greens, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- Wash rice in a strainer until the water runs clear, set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until transparent.
- Add rice, garlic, orange zest, burdock, and beets, stirring until everything has been coated with butter.
- Stir in the stock, orange juice, and braising greens. Bring the mixture to a boil, then to low and cover. Cook until liquid is absorbed, 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts, goat cheese, and parsley right before serving.