(Recipe & photo courtesy of Heather, Kailyard Kitchen)
Burdock Syrup with Star Anise and Ginger
Burdock is a subtle, unusual ingredient that is often found in Asian markets where it is called gobo. I highly recommend using it the day you get it as it quickly becomes limp in the refrigerator. This is a simple recipe to facilitate a quick processing inspired by the British beverage made by Fentiman’s. Use an ounce of this syrup mixed with club soda for a dry soda or add some to prosecco or cava for a holiday cocktail. If you can’t use your burdock right away, wrap it in damp paper towels and plastic before refrigerating it.
- 1 burdock root, washed and cut into half inch rounds
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into half inch rounds
- 1-2 star anise, lightly crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepot and simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
- Strain and refrigerate. It should keep for a week or two.